Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thank You Twyla!

If you have ever read more than one of my posts you will have most likely come across my tendency to vent about my failed auditions, lack of motivation and desperation to find something other than bartending to pay my bills. Well, my game face is now on and it's all thanks to the fabulous Twyla Tharp. Not only is my blog heading inspired by one of her quotes, my new found motivation is as well.



I was so lucky to have a friend invite me to a show of Come Fly Away, the new Twyla Tharp dance musical set to the music of Frank Sinatra. It was a beautiful display of amazing dancers, but in case you are wondering... it was no Movin' Out. I won't nit-pick the show apart just yet; I'll wait till it's done with previews after which I will hope to see that some serious changes have been made!


Anyways, while I was listening to the music of one of my all time favorite artists I watched some of the most talented artists in the business glide across the Marriott Marquis stage. THAT is what I want to do! THAT is who I want to work with and who I want to work for. It's been four years since I graduated from Point Park, so I'm slightly out of shape when it comes to the world of concert dance. I've been living in NYC and have become accustomed to the 'jazz square, kick ball change' combinations you are privy to at musical calls! It's a rare occasion that you get the chance to DANCE, aside from taking class that is, and we all know that costs money!


The beauty of the movement was not in the steps themselves, it was in the maturity and ease in which the dancers carried themselves across the floor. The cast is full of veteran dancers including John Selya (whom I LOVE) and Karine Plantadit (who is crazy but fabulous). The beauty in watching them is not only in their absolute perfection, which is slightly nauseating, but in the development of each movement. Their bodies are in complete and utter control of every step, turn, jump and lean. Their muscles work like finely tuned instruments. Their package is of sheer brilliance! And I want to be them!


In the beauty of story telling and performance you have to look no further than Charlie Neshyba-Hodges and Laura Mead. They are pint size energetic powerhouses who not only are the best actors but the cutest damn onstage couple! But I must also give a shout out to Miss. Heather Hamilton. I have never met Heather before, only danced with her at a ton of auditions in the city. I recognized her face but then instantly remembered who she was from her unique and intricate tattoos (they are not that big, I jsut have a very distinct eye for details). Heather was a member of the ensemble who took my breath away. Not only was she incredibly technical and beautiful, she was captivating in her performance and inspiring to me in my 'Get It Together' plan! Not only did I think she was the most interesting to watch in the ensemble, but she was better than some of the leading women. Confident, strong and graceful only begin to describe this fabulous dancer who left me in awe!


So... Thank you Twyla for this show. Thank you for these dancers. Thank you for the music.  Thank you for your talent.  Thank you for reminding me why I am a dancer.  It's game time!

No comments:

Post a Comment