Friday, December 18, 2009

... and the City

As I walked down the cobblestone streets of the Meatpacking District in my 5 inch heels, with my three best ladies I realized how fabulous and Sex and the City like my life actually is. Unfortunately, the only thing missing from our City lives is the... SEX! No, my girls and I are not virginal by any means, but the endless list of men that parade in and out of the bedrooms of our on screen alias' is NON existent!




I can understand why the show is such a huge part of women's lives. I've been watching the DVDs in sequential order and find that I can relate or apply some of the 'lessons' if you will to my every day life.  Any group of four friends, that likes shoes and brunch, men and cosmos will match their personalities to the lovely and extreme ladies of SATC.  We try to copy the clothes, the hair, the lifestyles... yet the one thing we can't seem to replicate is the sex part. It is NOT easy to find a man to even make-out with in this city. They are either creepy or M.I.A. when mingling at the local watering holes.



Every time we go out we wind up in female dominated hotspots where the men are either taken, or gay! This was until we found our new favorite trendy bar in Meatpacking. When arriving in our high high heels, cute dresses and bags of goodies we pushed our way to the host stand through a through a heap of MEN! So this was where they were hiding all the men on the island! Not only were they men (as in not small children), they were cute (as in HOT), they were intelligent (as in self-sufficient), and successful (as in financially stable).  And most importantly, they were single, as in no wedding ring hiding in the jacket pocket!  No nanny's to get home to relieve, no wife in the Hamptons.  These were eligible and attractive men! They were flirtatious with an edge of forwardness, who made smooth conversation starters.  They told us we were beautiful, and I actually believed it (I'm quite jaded). Yet none of us left with one of these openly available men!



WHY? The facts: we are four very good looking girls, we are smart and witty, we know how to hold up our end of a conversation and our liquor.  We are classy, yet flirtatious.  Forward but not pushy.  Confident but not arrogant.  With all this, what does it take to get the guy you want to take your number to...take your number? Why is it always that the guy you humor with conversation just to get him away more quickly is the one that seeks you out and harasses you for your number? Why is it when you finally decide to be bold and make a move the cute, flirtatious shy guy legit turns you down? This would not happen to Carrie or Samantha. Their night would have ended up in bed with said man, or at least with an exchange of the digits. And worst of all, they wouldn't have needed to initiate the exchange, and they wouldn't have been turned down! When do the circumstances of my life work out like theirs?



Where have all the good men gone? I live in New York City.  This is a thriving Metropolis.  There are millions of single men living withon a few hundred blocks.  So why is it that all the good ones are either taken, gay or uninterested?  I refuse to believe that there is not one single man out there that not only lives up to my standards but is also attracted to me!  I'm tired of sitting home on a Friday night wondering when I will be sitting with a man instead of my roommate (not that she's not fabulous). But at the same time, I'm tired of trying and being turned down. I'm tired of putting in the effort, making the move and having it being thrown back in my face. And I swear to God, if I hear that I'm just too intimidating, or too beautiful one more time... I will throw up this person who refuses to come up with a better lame ass lie!  Hilary Clinton is succsessful and some might say intimidating yet she's married (to a cheat, but still).  Heidi Klum is not only stunningly beautiful, but is savvy and successful and she has Seal.  So why is there no man out there that will follow through in simple tasks such as asking for my number or taking me to dinner?  Where is my man?  I'm hoping he's at my new favorite restaurant, because with the overwhelming man to woman ratio we saw last night, we are going back every Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment