Thursday, September 24, 2009

DWTS pays a Sub-Par Tribute

This past week was premier week for Dancing with the Stars (DWTS). I once thought this show was a parade of pseudo D-list celebrities prancing around making for minimally pleasurable television. Now, I tune in regularly and admit I am hooked on the sequins, the mirror ball trophy, and the ballroom professionals who may be better known than their 'celebrity' counterparts. I love what this show is doing for the world of dance, and for these celebrities in need of a career boost


One of the things that I have come to love is the professionals having their moments in the spotlight, whether is the opening numbers, dancing with the guest performers, or paying homage to a true legend. Last nights episode paid tribute to the legendary Patrick Swayze. There is nothing to say about this extraordinary talent that has not already been said. Patrick Swayze was a brilliant performer, a phenomenal dancer and the man that was responsible for one of the most memorable staples of dance history, Dirty Dancing.


I remember he first time I saw Dirty Dancing in its entirety. Until that moment I had only seen snippets including the final scene and the infamous 'No one puts Baby in a corner' moment. This movie opened up the world of dance to me. I was stuck in a bubble of shuffle ball changes, and jeté in seconds until I saw this movie. I learned that dance is not just something that is done, but something that is felt. When I watched Patrick Swayze on the screen in my bedroom I knew how truly personal dance was. He opened his heart for the world to see, he exposed his soul, not just the soul of his character, but his soul. He allowed himself to be vulnerable in this movie that was meant for a singular weekend showing and a straight to video release. He took a chance with his career by filming what could have been a flop, but he took a chance with his heart by opening himself up for criticism and scrutiny in what very obviously was his essence of being, his dance.

So, I guess I'm slightly biased then and nothing could match up to my pedestal that I hold Patrick Swayze and Dirty Dancing on, but I was disappointed by the tribute on DWTS. What was hyped-up to be a special tribute to a legend was nothing more than a three short snippets of well known Swayze-related songs. I enjoyed Chelsie and Dimitri's effortless fluidity in "She's like the Wind", but was turned off by the poorly choreographed amateur make-out session from Jonathan and Anna in "Unchained Melody" from Ghost. I don't care how much you love each other; no one wants to see you sucking face on the dance floor, emphasis on the floor. Fortunately this was followed by the entrance of two of my favorite performers, Cheryl and Tony, though after they recreated the opening segment of "Time of my Life" they fell short in bringing the vibrant and effortless captivity that this scene was known for. The lifts barely got off the ground and the dancers brought in to bring up the vibe on the dance floor seemed uninformed that they were honoring a legend, instead of just bopping around at the school dance.

I think that the man who basically brought dance, especially ballroom dance to the commercial forefront of the entertainment industry deserved a little more pomp and circumstance instead of what seemed like an impersonal mega mix of song and choreography. I am truly saddened by the loss of this beautiful performer and wish that his memory had been better honored by such a huge entertainment medium.


(photos courtesy of abc.com and imdb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment