Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Jack of All Trades

I am not a chef by any means, and I am not here to give any sort of cooking advice...but I'm so proud of my new found skills!  While being down here in Miami I have had the opportunity to cook all my own meals.  It's not only cost efficient, but fun!  Now, I know I have a tendency to make combinations of foods that only I, or a pregnant woman, would eat...but they are super easy knock offs of real recipes!

Here's two that I'm super proud of...give 'em a shot!

Quinoa Tuna Salad:
Packaged Tuna (I used the sweet and spicy kind)
Quinoa
Onions
Apple
Romaine Lettuce
Chick Peas
Lemon

Mix the tuna packet, diced onions and diced apples with a little sweet and spicy French dressing (or mustard).
Cook the Quinoa as per the instructions and I added diced onions while steaming.
If the above is made the day before (I used for other meals and such)
mix together and throw in the microwave for a few minutes.
Put Tuna/Quinoa mix over chopped romaine lettuce.
Squeeze a lemon over everything and add some chickpeas if you like.

SOO YUMMY!

Tofu Asparagus 'Stir Fry':
Extra Firm Tofu
Asparagus
Rice (I used brown instant minute rice)
Balsamic Vinegar
Lemon
Oregano

Cut and dry-fry the tofu.  I followed these directions!
While making the tofu, mix the Balsamic with squeezed lemon juice and a couple dashes of oregano.
(I used oregano because it's all I had.  There are other marinade options on the above site).
Throw the tofu in the marinade and let it soak.
After it sits for a while, throw the tofu, extra marinade and asparagus back on the pan.
Let 'sizzle' until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
While this is cooking make your rice (depending on how long it will take)
Put rice on a plate and add the tofu and asparagus over top.
If necessary add a little more balsamic over top!

So, I'm not Martha Stewart, but it tasted good!  Here's the real recipe.

Follow it with a little yogurt and a scoop of crunchy peanut butter and you will be in heaven!

O! And for furture referesnce, anything with a glass (or two) of wine, will taste EVEN BETTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment