Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I WAS in Miami B#$%^


Sitting in the airport a good three hours before my flight seems like the only way that my month in Miami would end. Of course I planned on getting out of bed at the crack of dawn and swimming in the fabulous pool of the apartment complex. I thought the heat and the quiet and the water would be the perfect way to start my new lease on life! Ok, so it’s not a new lease, but I’m ready and rearing to go back to NYC.


Well obviously I didn’t get up early enough, then spent the hour before my shuttle came running around packing and getting ready. I managed to do my hair, but not my make-up, and stuff everything into my two suitcases and two carry-ons. I’m very proud of the fact that I have less stuff to bring on the actual flight with me, and that my bags only weighed 51.5 and 46 pounds. Fortunately a sweet smile got me out of shifting the extra weight, and paying an extra bag fee!

But now I am here, with nothing to do but eat bad airport food (my least favorite part of traveling, the vegetarian options are donuts and bagels), and reflect on my trip.


Before I came to Miami I met with an ‘angel reader’. I take the supernatural stuff with a grain of salt, but I find it fascinating nonetheless. She told me I needed to take the time and ground myself, and that the only way I would find what I wanted to do with my life was to tune out the external and focus on the internal. I think I subconsciously did that. I didn’t sit and say, “ok, focus on you” I just did. I am in such a state of calm and peace, aside from a screaming match with my roommate, which I won, (sorry girl!) I have had no freak-outs. These freak-outs come in many forms, yelling at cab drivers, crying at Starbucks, compulsive eating. Aside from just being really hungry, I’ve been good!


The time I have spent here in Florida has given me a insite into what I need in my life. As much as the sun and the weather make me instantly happy, I need what Miami is definitely lacking…real people. I’m not saying that people down here aren’t nice, but there is just too much of a façade over the whole city that is just being sucked into all who reside there. The boobs are fake, the hair is fake, the faces are fake, even some of the accents are fake. But sadly, these deceptions don’t stop at face value. The people down in Miami have the general air that they are hiding something. It’s not like New York where people are constantly trying to improve and grow into a better version of themselves, the people of Miami are lying to themselves and those around them that this is who they are. What’s worse than this deceit is that the personalities they are taking on are rude, crass, obnoxious and trashy. All I can say to this is: “BOO”!


So here I am, excited and confident that going back to NYC is what I need. The city isn’t for everyone, but it has the class, the grace and the energy that fuel my life. It also has a margin of bitchiness that I couldn’t be without; I’ve spent four weeks in a place where my sarcasm has been wasted. So thank you Miami for helping to see why I moved to NYC in the first place, and for giving me a fabulous tan to go back with!

           -----------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear New York City,

Hi again! I know that you have missed me as much as I have missed you. But I have just one small request…


…please be nice to me!



I think after three years it’s the least you can do!


Thank you,
Ashley
(A legit New Yorker!)

No comments:

Post a Comment