Thursday, October 22, 2009

O the subway...

Anyone who lives in NYC is aware that every ride on the subway is an interesting experience. A simple ride to work can be inundated with crazies, weirdoes, hustlers and the occasional cute boy! Today was no different. Well, it wasn't the most entertaining ride I've ever had but just kind of made me giggle.



I have started to do some writing while on the subway rides to and from work. Since I don't have the time to be at my computer all day long like I was in Miami, I will spend the transportation time writing my thoughts out which makes writing my blog a little more time efficient! Well today I was standing up when I got on the train with my huge bag from Bed, Bath and Beyond and stood overtop of a woman writing in her own notebook. Sure, this wasn't the most appropriate thing to be doing...reading her 'journal', but it was just an interesting perspective for me. Some of my favorite things she wrote were: "I need music. I need my guy. I need an IPod." Then she paused for a few minutes, and then wrote: "Life is too short not to have an IPod." I thought that this statement was hysterical! I'm sure that if people read what I wrote some times they would think it was stupid or trivial as well, but this just cracked my shit up! And then what I thought was an interesting statement was "O, the life I live, and the life I want."


That last statement was very interesting to me. I know I've said that before, maybe just in different words, but still, seeing it come from another person just made me stop and think. What more does she want from life? I don't know her; I've never seen her before and will never see her again. But what is it that she's missing?


God, I just love New York. Walking down the street every day, seeing people, watching them interact with each other or their pets, or even just the way they bop down the street while listening to their IPods. These things are so silly, and trivial, but they give me some of the best internal conversations! I'm so intrigued to know more about the people you see every day, or even the ones that you know you will never see again. I would LOVE to stand on the street one day and stop people who are listening to music and see just what they are listening to at that moment. Because you know that the big burly black man is going to be listening to Barbara or Liza and I want to totally call him out!



So I suggest you go outside while it's nice out and enjoy the passers by. And if it's too cold for you, hop on the subway. I would say "save a crazy for me," but they flock to me anyways!

(the pic is from my favorite NYC tradition: no pants day on the subway)

1 comment:

  1. awesome. I think life is too short not to have a cookie from time to time. But an iPod...hm, not sure. I, too, prefer the internal monologue :p

    ReplyDelete