Saturday, October 10, 2009

New York I Love You...

When I initially started this blog entry I was going to use the lyrics "New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down", by LCD Soundsystem. It's from a fabulous, yet semi depressing song about living in NYC. Though it's all true, it's not done in the upbeat fashion of say "New York State of Mind" by Billy Joel.





At the time that I started this post I was incredibly overwhelmed in the Manhattan apartment search. I still am, but hopefully I'm done searching at this point. My roommate and I put in an application on a FABULOUS apartment, what we are now referring to as "Heaven on Broadway". (I know my Sex and the City fans get it!)  More accurately it's not on Broadway, but it makes us happy nonetheless.



If you have ever lived in NYC, especially Manhattan, you are aware of the painful process that is finding an apartment. Whether you are dealing with a broker you have enlisted, or one that you find on line, there are a thousand things that when put together, make you want to gouge your eyes out. We were lucky (as of now at least) and saw only 15 apartments. that's 14 more than I would have wanted t see, but we did the trek through the upper east side, then finally through the upper west side which is REALLY where we wanted to be. After seeing disgusting bathrooms, closets that they were trying to pass as bedrooms and one VERY large 'dancing' water bug, we had finally found a winner. You can tell it's a winner when my parents offer to be co-signers, without seeing the place, but just because there is an elevator. (Side note, thought my dad was going to pass out in my stairwell the first time he came to see me in my 5th Floor walk-up).


After filling out al the paperwork, and leaving a deposit so that they would lock the door, we proceeded to celebrate what we are hoping is the start of a fabulous life in our new apartment. Of course sacrifices are being made: I'm taking a smaller room (but I have a big closet), the bathroom is tiny (but not in comparison to most), there is no view of anything (but there is fabulous sunlight) and no dishwasher (but laundry is in this cute little area of the basement, which is SO clean). We are also paying more than what we initially were intending to pay (I’m having slight heart palpitations), but it will be worth it!


Now all I need is my former employer to stop jerking me around and give me my job back so I can make some moo-lah! Mama needs to buy a bed! So thank you New York...I thought you were trying to bring me down, but you were just reminding me that it wasn’t going to be easy…but definitely worth it!


Some of my favorite lyrics to
“New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down” :

New York, I Love You
But you're bringing me down

Like a rat in a cage
Pulling minimum wage

New York, you're safer
And you're wasting my time

Our records all show
You are filthy but fine

But they shuttered your stores
When you opened the doors
To the cops who were bored
Once they'd run out of crime

New York, you're perfect
So please don't change a thing

Your mild billionaire mayor's
Now convinced he's a king

So the boring collect
I mean all disrespect

In the neighborhood bars
I'd once dreamt I would drink

New York, I Love You
But you're freaking me out


There's a ton of the twist
But we're fresh out of shout

New York, I Love You
But you're bringing me down

Like a death of the heart
Jesus, where do I start?

But you're still the one pool

Where I'd happily drown

New York, I Love You
But you're bringing me down.

(thanks to lyricsmania.com)
(picture is of tom's restaurant, the famous diner from from seinfeld...now a staple of my new neighborhood!)


No comments:

Post a Comment